Friday, August 18, 2006

New Books

For my birthday I got 2, count 'em, TWO Amazon gift certificates! It took me over a month to pick the books that I wanted to buy. There were so many choices. When I buy books I like to get information books rather than fiction just because I don't usually read fiction over and over but I do keep going back to my informational books. It makes it nice and handy if they are sitting on my bookshelf. Today I got the first two of the seven(!) books I picked.

Backyard Market Gardening: The Entrepreneur's Guide to Selling What You Grow and Small Scale Livestock Farming: A Grass Based Approach for Health, Sustainability, and Profit They both look interesting and I can't decide which one to read first. So I will probably read both at the same time!!

The first book starts out telling a little about how to grow, what to choose, and tools that are handy. Then it moves right into a large amount of information on how to sell, different selling options, choosing what is good to sell, marketing, etc. There is a short section on business in general and building a business plan, then of course at the end of the book they couldn't resist putting in a "Plea for the Earth" chapter and a chapter on mulching, composting, and sustainable farming. Looks like loads of good info even though selling produce from my garden is probably some time off. Actually, my dream is to sell berries on a small scale--blueberries, raspberries, and possibly strawberries so hopefully this book will help me with that wish.

The next book has kind of the same information, except the subject is animals, not gardens. Lots of good stuff on livestock and the environment, holistic management, and rejuvinating pastures. Then it goes on to talk about marketing, finding a niche, and planning a business. It has some great appendixes at the end that cover most farm animals and their nutritional needs as well as the nutritional composition of "common feedstuffs" so you can try concocting your own feed recipes. Cool!

Thank you Mom and Dick! Thank you Dad and Shirley!

No comments: