Thursday, July 19, 2007

Bragging

Warning: This entire post is a shameless brag on how wonderful my kids have done so far at the 4h fair. If you are put off by parents who brag about their children or if the mention of the color PURPLE makes you cringe, go no further. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I mean it.

Really. I really, really mean it.

This is your last chance.

Okay, fine. Yesterday when we took the animals to the fair, we had to stop over in the static exhibits building to get wrist bands for the girls. It so happens they had all the exhibits from yesterday judged and beribboned, so we took a look at how everyone did.

One more note: Please excuse the quality of the photos. I was in a hurry as I didn't know if taking pictures was allowed so I wanted to do it quick. Also the light was dim and I didn't have on the right lens for low light. And I was in a hurry.

How about if we start off easy. The scarecrows haven't been judged yet, so we don't know how they did on those.

Here is 14 year old daughter's mummy:



11 year old daughter's gorilla:



and 10 year old son's hunter:



My 10 year old son got a blue ribbon on his drawing, and it will go to state fair.

Now for the purple:

All from 14 year old daughter. She did a cooking contest a few weeks ago--and won.



Beautiful peas. The radishes weren't so nice and got a red. She did that on purpose so as not to discourage the other 4hers with her skill.



A purple for both art projects! She also got a blue on her carrot cake (according to the judge it was too moist. WTH? Not gooey, just too moist. Can a cake be too moist? Apparently so.) and another champion ribbon for her tortillas.




Then the topper. The over the topper. This is the third year she has entered an educational display. There is always something wrong with it. Too much this or not enough that. She took all the criticism to heart and created this:



The judge loved it and gave her a champion ribbon. I said (being a perpetual mom, always on duty) "See what happens when you work hard and learn from your mistakes?" She also won a Premier Exhibitor award for the display, which will net her $20.

Today is Showmanship class for rabbits and chickens, and Market Poultry class-- my daughter's chickens weighed 4.5, 4.5, and 5? No, please reweigh that last one... 4.75 pounds. Not what we had at home, but I am not going to challenge mean animal barn lady too much. She was actually fairly not rude (one step down from semi nice) to us yesterday. We will see what today has in store.

No comments: