Friday, July 13, 2007

Things

Many things have been happening here at our little house that leave me little or no time to blog. Either that or I have been wasting my time doing other things besides blogging, you decide.

Sick: I was sick for several days. Then almost my entire family was sick. They ate some tainted pizza. Then I was sort of sick again for one day. I only had one piece of pizza. I think that is over now.

Fourth of July: Parade, family bbq, fireworks. Who could ask for more? There was even some swordfighting.






Big chickens:
My (daughter's) broiler chickens are getting big.



They are mostly over 3.5 pounds which means they are at fair weight. That is a big load off my chest. My oldest daughter will be taking three of them to the youth fair next week. They will be auctioned off to the highest bidder. If only we hadn't lost almost 1/3 of them on our hot day this week, I would be very happy. Live and learn I guess, except that I am tempted to give up on doing chickens since I can't seem to get it right.

Getting ready for fair: I wish this didn't involve a lot of time from me since the kids are the ones with the projects, but I have to do a lot of nudging. Yeah, nudging, that's it. Not nagging. Nudging sounds so much nicer.

One child is not doing any projects because he didn't take his photographs by the deadline I gave him. He still hasn't said ONE WORD about it either, almost 2 weeks later. A simple "I really don't want to do photography this year, Mom" would suffice. It isn't like I am forcing him to do anything; I really don't care whether he does the project or not. It is the ignoring of it that I care about.

Another child was to have 3 rabbits to show at fair, but now she only has one--also because of our hot day this week. She should have taken some ice bottles out to her bunnies, but she didn't and 2 of them died. I am feeling guilty because I should have reminded her. I really didn't think it was all that hot. The animals were fine last year when it was over 95 degrees for almost an entire week.

One child has about 10 projects, plus all of her chickens. This is the one child I don't have to nag...er, nudge. Much.

Then there is the filling out of all the records. Ugh.

Swimming lessons:
We finished 2 weeks of swimming lessons yesterday. The kids had a great time swimming with cousins and playing at the park afterwards. Except the 4 year old, who cried the last 3 days of lessons. Her excuses: "I'm nervous my bandaid will come off." "I am nervous because I don't want to get cold." "I'm nervous because __________." Whatever. Obviously, she went in the water anyway. I just threw her in and the instructor rescued her. Not really.

New deck: What? Finish the garage? WHY??? We NEED a new deck. Besides, a deck is a quick project, then we can get back to the garage. Right? Right. Heh.





Right now, most of the siding is on the garage. We need to put the drywall upstairs (12ft long pieces that won't fit up the stairs) through the wall, then close up the end. Paint garage, then roof. All of this must be done quickly because once the pile of drywall is in the garage it can't get wet.

The stringers and joists are all up on the deck. Floor, railing, and steps are left.

See? I have been busy. Or lazy, but looking busy. Can that be done? I didn't mention driving to gymnastics every day, or weeding the garden (which I haven't been doing) and the flowerbeds (which I have been doing).



I have been squashing a lot of Spotted Cucumber Beetles too.

No comments: