Monday, October 22, 2007

Swim, Bike, Run

I am going to enter a triathlon next spring. I was going to do this a few years ago, but I think I just wanted to get in shape and didn't really have any intention of competing. Then I got pregnant and the swimming pool water made me throw up and my belly got too big to ride a bicycle. So I gave up on that idea.

I have been thinking on the idea again the last month or so and this week I officially start my training schedule. I have a goal in mind...at the end of April there is a triathlon in a town north of us. I don't have the exact date yet because the 2008 schedule isn't out yet.

There is no deep, meaningful reason I am doing this. I'm not trying to prove anything to myself or anyone else. I like to exercise, that's all. It seems like a no brainer to me--I LOVE to swim, love riding my bike, and tolerate running if I have to--why not do all three? It lends a little variety to my workout time, if nothing else. I wouldn't mention it at all, except maybe if I record my "journey to the triathlon" here then I will actually have to DO IT!

Oh, one more thing. I'm not talking about an Ironman Triathlon here. Just a little sprint triathlon. 650m swim (the distance varies, but that seems about the average), 12 mile bike ride, 3.1 mile run. If I like it well enough I might work my way up to a half ironman, but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

This week's workout schedule:
Monday: Off
Tuesday: Swim 20 min
Wednesday: Bike 30 min
Thursday: Off
Friday: Swim 20 min
Saturday: Walk/Run 20 min
Sunday: Bike 30 min

Obviously, the plan is to start out slowly so as to not overdo it. I walk almost every day, but every time I step things up I go too fast and end up getting injured. So I am taking it VERY slowly this time.

Last week I was feeling particularly pathetic--I couldn't find my swim cap and goggles (I JUST SAW THEM WHERE ARE THEY), my bike was broken, and my stinkin' ITB was acting up. For those not in the know, ITB stands for iliotibial band. Say that five times fast, I dare you. Anyway, it is a very painful knee problem. Want to know more? Click here.

This week I have a new cap and goggles, my knee feels fine, thanks to all the stretching I have been doing, and my bike is fixed. So what if it is a mountain bike that is on its last legs. It takes me where I want to go.

No comments: