Monday, March 19, 2007

He is a keeper



Flashback to March 18, 1988: My husband to be is late to the church. We are supposed to be taking pictures before the ceremony and he is nowhere to be seen. At last report he was washing his car--a red 1959 Chevrolet Impala--the one we were to drive away from the church after the wedding.

Then, when he finally does show up, he stands out in the parking lot talking to my grandparents. It is the polite thing to do, since they have never met, but we have pictures to take. Meanwhile, I, being an EXTREMELY punctual personality, am getting crabbier and crabbier. I don't have any doubts even at that point that I want to marry him, I just wish he is not always late everywhere.

Soon we are in the church getting the wedding pictures taken. I am nervous and afraid, not of marriage, but of having to stand up in front of all the people. He takes my hands and he talks to me and soon I am not afraid any more. He is pretty good that way.

Yesterday was my and my husband's 19th wedding anniversary. At the last minute we decided to take a lunch up on the hill at the ranch. We meant to do this last year, but the weather didn't cooperate. This year, after a little morning rain, the weather was perfect.

Going up on the hill involved getting out the four-wheelers and driving about 30 minutes up old logging roads and trails where no one had been in a long time (this would probably be a good time to mention how much I LOVE my 4-wheeler. It is a big and hefty 4 wheel drive, and I never have to worry about tipping over. Plus, it is a 600 which means it is faster than my husband's machine. Heh.) But when we got to the top the view was worth it.





My husband still has no concept of time or how fast it can pass. If it weren't for me (and cell phones) he would still be late everywhere. But, like most other things, that can be worked out, and it has ceased to be a serious issue for us.

Yes, he is definately a keeper.

No comments: