Monday, June 18, 2007

Awards






Friday was my oldest son's last day at WLA. Next year he will be a senior and he will attend a different school. The new school will present more of a challenge academically, but I am sure he is ready for it.

The last 15 months at WLA have been very good for him, both for his confidence and socially. I never thought I would say that about a school that is made up of 90% thugs and misfits, but there it is. He is respected and well liked at school. I think that says a lot.

They held awards ceremonies both Thursday and Friday. My son received numerous awards for effort, attitude, conduct, commitment, leadership, and academics. Eight in all, I think. I wasn't able to be present for the Thursday evening awards, but the whole family attended the Friday awards and picnic.


My son is on the school color guard. He is the one on the left.




I don't remember what all the awards were exactly for, but it was some form of commitment, conduct, or effort award. For each award they receive a "ribbon" which is really a bar pin covered in a colored ribbon. Each award has a specific color. If an award is taken more than once, they get a star to put on the ribbon. They wear the ribbons on the dress uniform shirt above the left pocket. After today my son has five rows of 3 ribbons each, as well as some stars.




This was an award for getting above a 3.3 gpa for the year. Yes, there are only three people getting this award. The school gives out awards for 2.5 gpa and above. About 8 people total received academic awards. Out of 100+ kids in the whole school. Eight. Do you see why he is switching schools? He got a 4.0 gpa for each semester this year. He was the ONLY person in the whole school to get above a B- (he got an A+) in English class. His English teacher told me she refused to dumb down her class so more kids could get good grades. I said THANK YOU. I really feel like he earned his A+.



This award was for the highest gpa in the whole school for the year. My son took this award from the previous 3 time winner. Ha! Now he has a cool purple braid to wear on the uniform that he will never wear again.

He was also one of 4 kids in the school to be chosen as a finalist for the Cadet of the Year award. He got 3rd place, missing out by 2 points. I am so proud of his accomplishments this year.






There he goes, marching out for the last time.

1 comment:

Irie said...

Congrats to the smartest and most respectable dude in the school! (and to his proud mother!)