Thursday, June 28, 2007

New Arrivals

The last batch of babies arrived this morning. These turkeys are the ones that will grow into the large Thanksgiving size. They are so cute and tiny right now, though.




The broiler chicks and heritage turkeys are growing fast. The chicks are almost 1.5 pounds. They are losing their fuzzy cuteness.

Lets face it, they are getting downright ugly. It makes it easier to eat them though.

The turkeys are still pretty cute, in my opinion.


This little turkey is named Princess. Is it a girl or a boy? I can't tell.

Yesterday we moved the turkeys and chickens out to the field pens. They will be much happier out there in the grass.





There are 73 chicks and 10 turkeys. Amazingly, I only lost 5 chicks so far. And really, one of those doesn't count because it was dead when they got here. It smelled pretty bad, too. The other 4 died within the first day or two, and the rest are happy and healthy. I am sure some more will die, but right now they are fine. These chickens are not bred to be very hardy so I have to expect some loss. In the past, I have lost 25% or more, but I am hoping that I have gotten enough experience that I can keep it down to 10-12% this year.

No comments: