Sunday, February 11, 2007

Nest Boxes





After waiting for a long time, my chicken house finally has nest boxes where the chickens can lay their eggs. Chickens enjoy a nice quiet dark space to lay eggs. Previously, they had spot behind a piece of plywood leaned up against the wall.


About a year ago I got the bright idea of giving the job of building nest boxes to my then 15 year old aspiring building contractor. "Think of this as your first building job," I said. I suppose I should have offered to pay him in order to make the whole thing seem legitimate, but I didn't. Neither did he. Build the boxes, I mean. Actually, to be fair, he did start on them but he never finished. Apparently, he asked his dad (the man with ETB Syndrome) for help and then got frustrated and gave up. So finally a few Saturdays ago my husband set out to complete them.


This is about the only time in my life I am glad for a pile of junk wood out in the field



This is the part that oldest son did--chickens have been using it as a roost. Nice.




I think they look nice, but the chickens seem unimpressed. They will only lay eggs in the bottom middle box. One or two each day. I will be really glad when winter is over.

No comments: