Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Tuesday Ten: People do the darndest things

Time for the pet peeves. I have a lot of them too. Sometimes I just have to shake my head and say "What are those people thinking?!?!?!" Actually, they probably aren't thinking, and that is the problem.

It was hard to pick just ten, I must admit.

Cristy's Top Ten Pet Peeves


1. Mispronouncing words. If a person has a lisp or some other problem that causes them to be unable to pronounce a word properly, fine. I don't really care. Well, I do, but it doesn't bother me. I mean, it does, but not in a pet peeve way. Geez. Anyway, there are certain words that I hear mispronounced ALL THE TIME, and it drives me wild. The really bad thing is that I have heard them pronouncesd incorrectly on the radio and in television ads. Bad. Very bad. The worst ones: Fermiliar, samwich, jewlery, nuculer, and tempature. If a company is going to hire an actor to do an ad for them shouldn't they make sure they can speak properly? I find myself hollering at the television or radio--"It's FAMILIAR! FA-MIL-I-AR! Can't you READ???

2. People who go to church when they are deathly ill. I just love it when someone gets up in front of church and gasps out, "I almost didn't make it to church this morning (cough, wheeze) I could barely get out of bed (snort, sniff) But by golly I made it!" Thanks for bringing your germs to church to share with all of the rest of us. If you or your children are sick, STAY HOME! Because guess what? If you don't stay home this week, myself or some other family member will be staying home next week. And it will be all your fault.

3. A lot is not one word. A lot is two words. Actually a lot is a two word combination that one really shouldn't use a lot in writing. I try not to use a lot a lot but I often use a lot a lot more often than I intend. Which ends up being a lot.

4. People who threaten to leave their children behind. Yeah, you've seen them--"Okay, Johnny, Mommy's leaving now. Better come with me if you don't want me to leave you. Look, Mommy's leaving! Bye! Bye, I'm going now!" And Johnny responds by either ignoring his mother or dissolving into hysterics. My #1 rule of parenting is never threaten to do something you have no intention of doing. Are those parents really going to leave their kids behind? No, they would get arrested. The kids are going to figure that out sooner or later. It is best to just pick up the reluctant kid and leave.

5. People who drive in the left hand lane when they aren't passing someone. I realize there might be someone miles ahead they might need to pass at some point, but that doesn't count. Move over to the right so the million people that want to pass YOU can do so. There is a LAW against driving in the left lane without passing. Follow it.

6. People who think that just because a person has a large family they are "Supermom". Big deal, I have 8 kids. It isn't like they are all under age 6 or something. I am busy, but I have help. Imagine that. My kids do not sit around while I wait on them hand and foot. They contribute to the running of the household. How shocking. Of course I am a good mom (so my kids say), but it isn't because I have a large family.

7. People who are obsessed with homeschoolers needing socialization. Um, what about all those poor public schooled children that are stuck in a room with kids their own age all day? What? They see other kids and adults at the park, church, sports, grocery stores, lessons, around the neighborhood, in their extended families? Well, mine don't. No siree. WE homeschool. My kids stay inside all day, and NEVER go to all those places. The horror. They might pick up some bad behaviors or something.

8. Bad grammar. I hang my head in shame and admit that I am a grammar snob. When people say "We was there yesterday" or "I seen him up in the tree" it sends chills through my spine. I have been known to say "You were there yesterday?" or "You saw him up in the tree?" in hopes that they will correct their grammar. They don't.

9. "Special" people that cut into traffic lines. They know why everyone is lined up in the right hand lane, but they zip on up in the left hand lane and then try to crowd in front of the line, therefore slowing everyone else down even further. These people obviously feel that they are special and don't have to be polite like regular people. Guess what, special people, nobody likes you. We curse at you under our breaths. We say "How RUDE!" We sneer when we see you pulled over by a policeman for speeding.

10. People that sit at the gym and yell at their kids from the sidelines. This is so irritating. Leave the poor kid alone for a minute. Let the coach handle it, for goodness sakes. If you are so good at gymnastics, why waste all that money taking them to the gym? Just stay home and tell them what to do. I would appreciate it. Thanks.

No comments: