Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Tuesday Ten: Books

I like books and reading. I was going to list 10 books I liked well enough to read again, but I could only come up with five. So scratch that. Ten books on my waiting to be read list---I don't have one. I just go to the library and pick out what looks good. If I like a particular author, I read everything ever written by that author, whether I like it or not. Call it a small obsession of mine.

Ten Things I Like About Books

1. They are not movies. If I get sleepy, I can just nod off and then pick up where I left off when I wake up. With movies I usually don't get around to finishing if I fall asleep.

2. They don't call me mom. In fact they don't call me anything. How nice. Books are so quiet.

3. Books can be funny. I love funny books. Though I must say I had to stop taking Richard Lederer's Anguished English books to the gym to read while waiting for my daughter. I would start giggling uncontrollably. I prefer not to giggle uncontrollably in public.

4. Books are great for reading aloud. My kids love books and they love it when I read aloud to them.

5. I can get lost in a book. If I feel like getting away for a while but can't leave the house, reading a book is a good way to do it.

6. There are so many of them. If I feel like reading about turkeys, then I can. If I want to know about gardening, no problem. Any subject I can think of I am sure there is a book. And then there are fiction books. Oh, books without end.

7. Books make me happy. I. LOVE. READING. I often read when I should be doing something else, like cooking dinner or cleaning the refrigerator. I don't care.

8. Without books there wouldn't be libraries. That would be a travesty.

9. Books are a quiet activity. Unlike the current activity going on in my living room--fighting over the roaring dinosaur. My kids like to read, thank goodness.

10. They make good memories. Many of my memories from growing up revolve around books--acting out books, being read to every morning while waiting for the bus, reading, reading, reading.

No comments: