Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Tuesday Ten: Drudgery

My week was not nearly as exciting as Cathy's , but I am going to go ahead and list my ten things I did this week anyway.

Ten Things I Did This Week:



1. Laundry.
Doesn't matter if it is clean or dirty, there is always laundry going on around here. Even if I do 2 loads a day there is still more to do. At least I don't have to fold it. That's the kids' job. By the way, I made sure that no one's undies were showing when I took the picture. Heaven forbid that I scar my 13 year old daughter for life by putting a picture of her underwear on the internet. But I must say--what is up with half inside out clothes? Or the sock ball? Or the 3 layers of shirts that I have to pull apart to wash?





2. Deciding the thickness of porkchops. I had to make some quick decisions on the phone yesterday about how we want our pigs cut up. How thick do I want the pork chops? Medium, I guess. Do I want pork roast or pork steaks, or both? Both, I guess. How do I want the sausage seasoned? Don't touch the sausage, I will make it myself. Bacon? Ham? Yes. Yes. But we will be taking it somewhere else to get the no nitrite cure. Organs? A resounding NO. Butchering pigs is so exhausting.


3. Taking pictures. I have had my new camera for a week now and I have taken gobs of pictures. I even took it to the gymnastics meet on Saturday. I took it out with me to do chores and took pictures of frosty leaves. Some pictures came out nice, some not so much. I'm not saying which is which just in case I am wrong.












4. Correcting schoolwork. If they would just set it on the correcter pile and leave it be then things would be great. But noooo, we have to follow mom around and say "here's my English" "here's my math" "can I just read this to you?" "can I correct this myself?". It's as if I have never said, "There's the correcter pile, put it there and I will get to it in a minute." And no, you may not correct it yourself, because then you will know what the answers are. I wasn't born yesterday.


5. Driving to gymnastics. Four days a week, drive there and drop off, go back and pick up.
Sometimes on Saturdays drive to a different town for a competition. I don't mind, in fact I enjoy it, but sometimes I feel guilty about doing all of that for one kid.
Saturday she placed 3rd on beam and bars, 4th on floor and vault, and 3rd all around. Fantastic.




6. Dreaming of visiting the coast. Well, visiting my mom at the coast with my sisters. Although I really don't care who it is I am visiting at this point (sorry, Mom) just so I get to go without anyone under the age of 20. Or men. And so long as I don't have to make dinner, make my bed, change my socks, or change anyone elses socks.

7. Buying camera stuff on eBay. One nice thing about my new camera is that all of the old Minolta Maxxum auto focus lenses will fit on it. This means that if I want a different (better) lens than the 18-70mm kit lens that came with it, I can get a used one in perfect condition for 1/10th the price of a new Sony lens. Maybe I got a little more than I needed, but I still spent way less for 6 lenses and 2 bags than I would have for one brand new lens. I need two bags, by the way, one large one for all the equipment, and one smaller and lighter to carry around. If I should choose at a later date I can resell the lenses and make my money back anyway. Current inventory: 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.7, 18-70mm, 35-70mm with macro, 28-105mm, 80-200mm, and a 100-300mm. All useful in their own way.

8. Cleaning out the refridgerator. No, not really. But I should. It is on the list of things to do.

9. Playing with pictures in Photoshop. What fun. If a picture is to dark, just lighten it up. An unsightly pimple? Remove it. Cool. A picture can go from this:
A little to much shadow and what is that on his face? Jam? Be gone!



What an ugly white background. Zip Zip Zip!



Ta-Dah!!



Maybe a bit too much, but you can see what fun it is to play with pictures.


10. Deciding what to cook for dinner. I often think that I should have this dinner making thing down after so many years of marriage and family. I don't. Maybe it is because I dislike cooking, maybe it is the tight budget, maybe it is because I dislike cooking. I have no shortage of cookbooks, I just have a huge shortage of desire to use them. Tonight for dinner is macaroni and cheese. Good thing that will thrill the masses. Last night was chicken noodle soup and fresh bread, tomorrow is anyone's guess. As long as it doesn't require a cookbook and only uses 3 ingredients (that I have), I will make it.




See what Cathy has been up to.

No comments: