Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Making Pork Sausage

This has to be my favorite part of the pig. Even more than bacon and ham, I love pork sausage. I had the butcher give me the scraps so I could make my own instead of having them make it for me. Who knows what they would put in it. It couldn't possibly be as good as MY sausage.

Start out with a good amount of pork scraps. For the record, I had 35 pounds of scraps from two pigs. The sausage recipe I use comes from my trusty butchering book: Basic Butchering of Livestock and Game. I had to modify it a bit because the recipe called for 50 lbs of meat.










Get the ingredients together: salt, pepper, sage, red pepper, and cayenne pepper.

Grind up all the pork and put it into a big pan.











Add 1/2 cup of salt















1/2 cup of pepper













1/3 cup of sage














1 Tablespoon each of red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper








Mix thoroughly with your hands. Dis. Gust. Ing. Sing songs from the Philidelphia Chickens CD while you mix. Or say tongue twisters like: She sells seashells down by the seashore. It will distract you from the reality of the grossness.




Package the sausage in whatever size packages makes you happy. I like to make them small so if I want to use sausage in scambled eggs then I get one package. For sausage patties, grab 2 or 3 packages. Plus it gives me the illusion that I have a lot and it will last a long time. I am easy to fool.



Get some sucker to do the boring job of writing p. saus. 07 on the packages with a sharpie marker. Kids are good for this.






Of course then you have to put up with their silly shenanigans.









Sixty-one packages of sausage. See? Now that is going to last a long, long time.



No comments: